Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Emperor's Outdated Clothes

I find myself perplexed. It could be the complicated case House is trying to solve. Perhaps the half bottle of wine I just consumed, who knows? Regardless.
What differentiates someone who doesn't know how to present themselves, someone who does, and someone who doesn't care? Interestingly "doesn't" seems to be incorrectly spelled, thank you red underlining program. You humiliate me once again.

Since I started working in what most have come to call the Real World I have been told that I have to present a certain image. Tie, collared shirt, nice pants, shoes...ugh. I realize when I don these garments I emanate a certain classy Alpha status but does that represent who I am? Ask around, not true.

For some reason we seem hung up on looks. Shocking I know but please, sit back down. I have more to say. For some reason this style seems to placate our general uneasiness when meeting a new person. A tie, an upside down noose, displays authority and responsibility? I think I have it figured out! The more time you spend making sure you look presentable means you spend more time being responsible. . .

Wait, that can't be right. It really means you are more concerned with appearances than you are with achievements. That's right, I'm calling you out! Spend more time thinking and less dressing!
My point, which no one could figure out because I just realized it myself, is that we reward selling out over being independent. Conform to the standard and be loved, reject it and be treated with disdain. Why should we reward individuality in the business world? The true success comes from getting in line not coloring outside the lines. It all makes sense now, everybody can relax.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Vanity, thy name is culture.
Truth is, I really just love my flip flops...

No comments: